Monday, September 19, 2005

Happy Birthday in Heaven...

I know I already posted about this, but screw it. It's my webpage, and I'm doing it again.

I guess I miss you more today, 'cause it's your birthday. And I couldn't bear for you to spend it here alone. Wish I could say this to your face, instead of talking to your name carved in stone...

If I had one more day, one more hour or even minute with you, I'd hug you, kiss you, tell you how much you mean to me, and then tell you this one thing that'll haunt me forever: Yes Bobby, I remember.

I still remember exactly where I was when Logar called and told me you were gone. I couldn't believe it; I'd just waved at you on my way out of town. There must be some mistake. Must be someone else with a truck like yours. But...there was none. It was you, and you were gone. Just like that. No final words were spoken, no time to say goodbye. You were gone before we knew it, and only God knows why. I still remember where I was standing the night of your wake when I talked to Dave, and he said what still echoes through all of our minds and hearts: I can't believe the fucker's gone. Today would've...SHOULD'VE been your 33rd birthday, and we're still trying to deal with losing you. None of us were ready to let you go. And I don't think any of us ever really has. You're a part of us now, and through us, you will live on. As long as we live, you will never be forgotten. We won't let you. We love you more than you ever knew. And now you never will.

Robert Gene Hammons
September 19, 1972~October 28, 2004


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home